Tuesday, April 2

Universal Studios Butterbeer Recipe

It's Tummy Tickled Tuesday Time!
Today I want to share with you a recipe for Butterbeer from Universal Studios!

Last year we went to Disney World as our last hurrah before moving... and then we didn't move.  So this year, when again we thought we were moving, we decided to hit Universal Studios for Harry Potter World!

I am a bit of a Harry nut.  I was so excited I could hardly stop to take pictures!  It was super cool, even if you aren't a Harry Fan.

The kids have just reached that age where they can really appreciate Harry Potter!  The three year old loves it cause...  Big Bro and Sis love it.  They cast spells on each other all the time!  "Eat Slugs" is a family favorite.  They love to make me vomit invisible slugs.

I am gunna say that we went at an absolutely perfect time.  February in Florida can be warm, but not hot and there is a slight chance of rain, but bring ponchos and you should be fine.   Harry Potter World was easily the most crowded portion of Universal Adventures Theme Park.  It seems that everyone was there.  And it is easy to see why!  But... still.  The longest line we waited in the whole time was The Forbidden Journey.  The sign said 30 minutes, but it didn't seem that long.  Perhaps it was because the line was constantly moving and 90% of that wait was inside Hogwarts Castle!  We do a rider swap cause we have a little one, but.... It was so cool we did it again!  (If you don't want to wait in line for this and aren't a die hard Harry fan...  do the Spiderman ride in the Marvel Hero section of the park.  It is similar and 3D AND it was my favorite simply because our 3 year old could ride it!)  The Forbidden Journey was a little scary for our very sensitive 6 year old boy.  He has a bit of an issue with Monsters.
We just happened to me some friends while we were there and we all headed to The Leaky Cauldron for lunch!  We all decided we could get ONE cool souvenir while at Universal.  And my hubby is a big butterscotch lover so...  He ended up buying Butterbeer after Butterbeer for his prize!  
They are pretty YUMMY!
He actually became a bit of a snob about them.  He swears the frozen ones INSIDE the Leaky Cauldron are more frozen and therefore more yummy than the ones at the little shops outside.  
There are two different Butterbeers.  One is regular cold soda and the other is Frozen.  Just different textures.  Frozen was about a buck more.  The food was pretty good but the Butterbeer was something I could wait to try at home!

First I google searched and then Pinterest searched.  First, nothing I could find was really EXACTLY what I imagined the original recipe would be.  I have a Butterbeer Expert in the house so I  knew I had to get it just right!  And... I came pretty stinkin close if you ask me!  Second, every recipe I could find was for one serving or... had ice and you had to serve it right away.  Seriously, if you have had Butterbeer and like it you don't want one little serving!
So, after many trial and error recipes with the "expert", here is MY recipe for
Universal Studios Butterbeer!
Stuff You Need to Start
1 Big Bowl
2 2 Liter Bottles of Cream Soda
1 Jar of Butterscotch Topping
1 Tub of Cool Whip
The some Light Karo Syrup
and a little Rum Extract

First - The Frozen Butter Beer
In large bowl dump 1 bottle for Cream Soda and stir in about 1/2 - 3/4 Cup of Butterscotch Topping.
Stir that slowly till slightly blended and then place the whole bowl in the freezer.  I go back every half hour or so and stir it, just cause... then it's slightly easier to break it up at the end.  Plus...  I want to make sure it isn't magically done early so we can drink it!

Second - The Froth
Open up your tub of Cool Whip.
ADD 3 Tablespoons of Butterscotch Topping
2 Tablespoons Light Karo Syrup
1 Teaspoon Rum Extract
Then whip all that together until it's blended well, place the lid back on and stick it in the fridge to await your frozen Butterbeer.

Third - The Consumption of Yumminess
To serve you will want to chop up your froze stuff from the freezer and fill your cup lightly about 3/4 the way full with the slush.  Then pour some cream soda from the none frozen bottle, over the the stuff until your slush is at least covered.  I like the slush to be floating about and inch from the bottom.  Then plop a heavy spoonful of the Froth over the top.  It seems to expand a little as time goes by.

There!  A bulk recipe that can be froze and kept for a while and enjoyed at any meal or... just because it's yummy!  The only way I can get closer would be to go drink another and then try mine right away OR find the stingy person who created the one at Universal and won't share.  Believe me it asked.  But... take that!  Mine is pretty stinkin close!



17 comments:

  1. Harry Potter FanTuesday, June 25, 2013

    Just like the Universal Studios Butterbeer. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So addictive right? LOL You are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! How long does this recipe take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Miranda! Most of the time depends on how quickly your freezer can freeze! Between 3 and 6 hours?

      Delete
  4. About how many servings does this make? I'm making it for a fundraiser and I need to know how much of everything to get to make around 80 servings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I didn't reply sooner but it makes a TON! I would make 6 batches for 80. It's pretty yum though... so maybe more!

      Delete
  5. If you didn't want it frozen, could you simply mix the cream soda and butterscotch topping and get the same results as far as the taste goes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would think so! We just like it better frozen. It was my hubby that was the Butterbeer connoisseur. He says it's the only way to go! Haha.

      Delete
  6. I really wanted to make it but i can't buy any of those things in my country lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I couldn't tell you what different things to use! I am so sorry!

      Delete
    2. Maybe you could use club soda and add vanilla extract. Then to make it sweet, use a little bit more butterscotch topping. If you can't buy butterscotch topping, you can make it. Basically you melt brown/white sugar in a pan without burning the sugar (sometimes dissolving the sugar in water and and heating it to evaporate the water is easier). Then you remove it from the heat and stir in some butter until melted and then evaporated milk. The milk causes it to foam up like crazy and you have to stir constantly. Keep adding evaporated milk until you get the correct consistency and colour. Then you can make this recipe. It will be a little bit more in depth and require playing around but I am sure you can get it to work!

      Delete
  7. Making it right now for a Harry Potter marathon. I was surprised to see home/visiting teaching tab on your blog. Who would have thought I would find another Latter-Day Saint just by looking up Butterbeer recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Us silly LDS people... LOL Glad find others who do Harry Potter Marathon's!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the recipe. I like the frozen Butterbeer better than the cold one also. We just got back from Orlando but we've been there before since Orlando is one of those cities we visit all the time. I will have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can't wait to try--we were among the first into Dia
    gon Alley last week and we are trying out different recipes now---thanks sosososo much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. does it taste the same as Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We think so! I went through a few trials to get it just right. And we needed a BIG recipe! Hope you enjoy!

      Delete